Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Eatin' Mo Bettah


Each week I try to sample a Madison restaurant I've never been to. Oftentimes this is difficult, since I tend to be a creature of habit and could easily enjoy the always delicious and comfortable West of the Andes sandwich at the Weary Traveler every night of the week.

This week’s pick was New Orleans Take-Out (1517 Monroe St.). It’s a quaint storefront near the corner of Regent and Monroe, only two doors down from the legendary Mickey’s Dairy Bar. Surprisingly, New Orleans Take-Out has been serving up authentic Creole food in Madison since the mid-1980s. It’s order-at-the-counter, and although most people do opt for take-out as the name suggests, we decided to dine-in and enjoy the early nightfall and bustling intersection perched upon window bar stools. The décor is simple, and not too tacky, made up mostly of a few colorful spray-painted murals and vintage posters. The woman taking our orders was pleasant enough, and the only other employee was a long-haired hippy cook in the back. I was happy to hear Bill Withers’ “Ain’t No Sunshine” playing as I ordered. I love that song. After contemplating between the Gulf Shrimp Po’ Boy and Red Beans and Rice, I opted for the $3.05 half-order of Red Beans and Rice with Smoked Sausage. Cheap and simple. And it was that and so much more. The dish was hearty, perfectly seasoned, and complemented by a substantial piece of sweet cornbread. The sausage was a great touch, and I’m not sure the rice and beans alone would have done it for me. At $3.05, the dish is a great value and I can assure you I will be back for more.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Great review of this restaurant. I'll have to try it next time I'm in Madison.

J