Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Crazy You

Many of you know that I am a vinyl junkie. Some of you have spent quality time with me during vacations searching for the best local record stores. My most recent purchase, and current obsession, is the fifth version of Rewind!, which is a compilation of “original classics. re-worked, remixed, and rewound” from Ubiquity Records. According to the label’s Web site, “the concept of the Rewind! compilation series is simple—our favorite artists cover their favorite tracks, revealing their influences and bringing classic tunes back up to date.” The album features the following eleven tracks that are all cover versions made from scratch (no remixes or re-edits).

1. El Michels Affair “Walk On By” (Burt Bacharach)
2. Black Shakespeare feat. Charlie Charles “Dreams” (Fleetwood Mac)
3. The Rebirth “Handle It” (The Sylvers)
4. J*Davey “Dirty Love” (Frank Zappa)
5. NuSpirit Helsinki “No Quarter” (Led Zeppelin)
6. Randy Watson Experience “Be Still My Beating Heart” (Sting)
7. Psapp “Everybody Wants to Be A Cat” (The Aristocats)
8. Osunlade “Crazy Love” (Prince Nelson)
9. Daz-I-Kue feat. Bembe Segue and Colonel Red “Spoiled” (Ben E. King)
10. Henrik Schwarz “Labeille” (Guem et Zaka)
11. Owusu and Hannibal “Caroline, No” (The Beach Boys)

My favorite track is Osunlade’s version of Prince’s “Crazy Love.” It’s just so sexy, and I can’t help but dance around my living room when I’m listening to it. The lyrics are simple, but the beat is what really gets me. Really, you just have to listen to it:

"You have got a strange way about ya'... kinda' crazy
But I love you just the same
Because you... Oh you make me wanna do
Oh everything
I'm just a crazy fool, lost in the world of love
I get from crazy you
Oh, I'm so strung out thinking 'bout the crazy things you do
Crazy you"

No comments: