Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Strange Little Nugget

My brother reminded me that I completely forgot to blog about my new candy experience from this past Saturday night. It's not like I've never had candy rasins before. In fact, my family is rather obsessesd with these tasty morsels. But, for the first time on Saturday, we experienced the 3.8 oz. variety, straight from a bowling alley vending machine. Amazing. I've only seen candy rasins in 9 oz. bags. And I've also only seen them sold at grocery stores and candy shops. So imagine my astonishment at finding a tiny bag like the one pictured, right. In a vending machine!

A bit of history on this unique candy. Candy rasins were first trademarked by the Stark Company in 1976. They taste nothing like rasins. They are a translucent, honey-colored juju that is a favorite in the Milwaukee Metropolitan area. I've found that people either love 'em or hate 'em. I'm obviously part of the former group. The tasty treats remain a leading non-chocolate item in the Milwaukee area. In fact, they're only sold there. When I moved to Colorado after college, my mom would send me bags of candy rasins to feed my addiction. Once you start, you can't stop popping them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE CANDY RAISINS!!! This coming from a guy who despises every other kind of candy. Looks like I'll have to start spending more time in bowling alleys.
Mmmmmmm...candy raisins.