Friday, November 21, 2008

Favorite Chili

I made a double batch to ensure plenty of leftovers!

Here's my Tupperware, reheat special!

The last time I was home to visit my parents, my mom whipped up an amazing batch of chili from a recipe that she had found in the March 2008 Rachel Ray magazine. Apparently it was the winning chili recipe for some sort of chili cook off Rachel had hosted for readers. I think this chili is awesome, especially served with cilantro, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips. It's quickly become my favorite, and it's the perfect Tupperware, reheat lunch for me at the office.

Ingredients:
2 T. olive oil
1 pound of lean ground beef or Boca meatless ground burger
1/2 cup chopped onion1 garlic clove finely chopped
1 T. chili powder
1 t. ground cumin
1 15oz can black beans1
15 oz can pinto beans
1 10oz can tomatoes and green chiles
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
12 oz Monterrey jack pepper cheese, shredded
1 (10 oz) bag corn chips such as Fritos

Directions:
1. In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook for 7 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin and cook over medium low heat for 5 minutes. Add the beans, with their liquid, and the tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Stir in the cilantro, then top with the cheese, cover and let stand until the cheese melts, 5 to 10 minutes. Place a handful of corn chips in each of 4 bowls. Top with the chili and serve.

No comments: