Thursday, July 12, 2007

Muncie Endurathon

This weekend I’ll be competing in the 28th annual Muncie Endurathon half-ironman distance triathlon in Muncie, Indiana. The race, which is one of the longest-running half-ironman races in the country, is comprised of a 1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, and a 13.1-mile run. This will be my third year competing in the race, and besides the fact that it’s in Muncie, I’ve always liked the race because it offers a decent course and falls smack in the middle of my Ironman training so I can get a sense of where I stand.

As you can imagine, it’s always hot in Indiana in July, so the heat can present a formidable challenge, particularly during the run since there’s no shade. It’s just you and the blistering sun pounding it out on the hard pavement for thirteen miles. And don't forget that your legs have been severly weakened by a 56-mile bike ride. As of now, they’re forecasting sunny skies, a high of 84 degrees, and strong winds for Saturday in Muncie. That’s not bad, but strong winds will potentially make for a very tough ride. According to the race Web site, the water temperature is currently at 82 degrees, meaning that unless the water temps cool down significantly (to 78 degrees or below), wetsuits will not be allowed under USAT rules. From a competitive standpoint, this is good for me since I think that non-swimmers tend to realize much greater benefits from wetsuits than swimmers do. On the other hand, my roommate and many other non-swimmers would feel a heck of a lot more comfortable in the water with their wetsuits. Thus I am torn.

Anyways, it should be a good race and a chance for me to see if I’m where I need to be at for Ironman training. My only goal is to feel and finish strong. My roommate and I leave for glorious Muncie tomorrow morning. Muncie or Bust.

No comments: