Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Buffett Chronicles

Buffett Day, 2007. Where do I even begin? I had patiently waited two years for this concert, as Jimmy took a disappointing hiatus from Alpine Valley in 2006, and last year (in retaliation), I took a hiatus of my own to attend my good friends’ Jill and Ryan’s wedding in Green Bay. Every year, from the moment Jimmy announces his summer tour dates, the anticipation builds and builds until the day is finally here. And then, before you even know it, it’s all over. This is the story of my eighth Buffett show at Alpine Valley.

We all arrived at Guilford HS before 11 a.m. to load the bus with all of our coolers and food. Shortly after 11 a.m., we were on the road. Our driver—a cheery, white-haired, grandpa-like fellow, was thoroughly entertained with our debaucheries, and he and I became good friends by the end of the day. When we finally arrived at Alpine Valley, we pulled into a prime spot in the bus lot that was just a few rows away from the main amphitheater entrance. All of concert goers from the surrounding buses were vying for space, and we quickly started stacking a wall of beer cases to ensure ours. Behind us was the infamous slip and slide, and to our right, a few perverted men were hosting a game in which daring individuals could step into a tiny jail and take a spin for the chance to kiss, show their boobs, etc., before being released. There was also a Jello wresting pit located just down the way. Only at Buffett.

It was great to catch up with friends, and I thoroughly enjoyed many Coronas and Brigham-mixed drinks, namely the “shark bowl” and “sweet heaven.” I am pictured with the “shark bowl”, sans shark, above. Eventually, I met up with my new friend Royce, and toured the lot with a few of his friends and mine. From there, we went into the show. I spend most of the show dancing on deck six, which was probably the closest spot I’ve ever seen the show from. Following the concert, I wandered back to the bus, where I apparently devoured a bag of Cheetos and then crashed in exhaustion. The ride home was a little bumpy, but I had the seat all to myself! Another year’s concert has come and gone, but there's always next year's to look forward to!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture. You could be in an ad for Corona Beer!