Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Cookin' Clafoutis


Last night I baked Cherry Clafoutis (pronounced "kla-foo-TEE"), which is a rustic French dessert that originated in Southern France. I found the recipe in a recent Williams-Sonoma catalog. The dessert is essentially sweet cherries baked in a custard filling. The preparation was relatively quick and straightforward, and the end result was delicious. My recent purchase of a cherry pitter certainly helped quicken preparations. It is my new favorite kitchen gadget and a must-have tool for any recipe involving fresh cherries.

The Clafoutis recipe recommends serving the dessert with pistachio ice cream. After an online search, I was relieved to discover that Haagen Dazs produces this flavor. Their Web site has a fantastic flavor finder database where you can determine which of your area grocery stores have received a recent shipment of a particular flavor. A search for pistachio ice cream in my zip code yielded a result of Woodman’s and Wholefoods in Madison. Very cool. This feature certainly saved me a lot of time and hassle. The dessert was good stuff. I loved the taste of the pistachio ice cream over the warm cherry custard. I will be making this dessert again. Hopefully when you're over for dinner next time, eh?

No comments: