Friday, August 22, 2008

The Best of Dane County Farmer's Market

As many of you know, I am obsessed with the Dane County Farmer's Market on Madison's capitol square. It's no doubt the highlight of my week. I wanted to share with you my very favorite stops at the market, so I've been collecting pictures all summer...

My first stop is ALWAYS for coffee at Steep and Brew. I get a 12 oz. cup for $1.75 and fill it to the brim with French Roast. Definitely need my coffee before starting the loop.

Next up, I need a little treat to go with my coffee. As you know, I love scones, and fancy myself a connoisseur. There are many great scone purveyors at the market. My favorite, the name of the booth escapes me, offers orange chocolate chip scones, which are fabulous. There are also some newbies out there this year that are cooking up some very unique and tasty scones. I'd encourage you to sample a few :)

Renaissance Farm offers amazing pestos, vinagrettes, and sea salts. I love the basil vinagrette and keep it in stock for salads throughout the year. It's fantastic. Their cinnamon rolls are pretty good, too.

The cheese from Bleu Mont is my favorite. I particularly love the aged cheddar. The cheese maker at Bleu Mont has been heralded by the New York Times as the "rock star of cheese." The cheese is a little pricey, but well worth it.

Fresh veggies and fruits galore.

I also get some fresh RP pasta each week. I love it in the summer with a little olive oil and fresh veggies from my garden.

And then there's the famed hot spicy cheese bread from Stella's. If you've never tried it, you simply must. It's hot, and straight from the oven. You'll hear the bakers yelling "HOT, spicy cheese bread" from across the square.

I hope you enjoyed my tour of market favorites!

No comments: