Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Stuffed Hierloom Tomatoes and Another Tart





Yesterday happened to be just one of those days in the office. I needed a little time in the kitchen to relax and unwind. I’ve had two recipes at the top of my list for a few weeks, but alas, have been too busy with training and work to spend any quality time in the kitchen recently. Sigh.

But last night, I finally had the opportunity to make both recipes—one was a recipe from Williams Sonoma for Stuffed Heirloom Tomatoes, and the other, a modified recipe from Bon Appetite for a Nectarine and Marscapone Tart in a Gingersnap Crust.

For the stuffed tomatoes, I found beautiful organic Heirloom Tomatoes at the farmer’s market this past weekend. Preparation was relatively simple. I cored each tomato, scooped out the seeds, and stuffed with the filling of bread crumbs, Italian Sausage, mushrooms, onions, and cheese. I arranged the tomatoes in a pie dish and sprinkled with additional cheese, followed by a light drizzling of olive oil. Then I baked at 375 for 30 minutes. The dish was wonderful and hearty enough to serve as an entree, but would also serve as a great appetizer for a summer barbecue.

The Nectarine and Marscapone Tart was even more simple to prepare. I crushed the gingersnap cookies in a food processor, added melted butter, and then spread the crust in a tart pan, using a metal measuring cup to flatten the crust. I baked the crust for 8 minutes and then cooled on a wire rack. Meanwhile, I combined the filling ingredients, and spread on the crust once it was cool. I then refrigerated the tart and cut the nectarines into thin slices. When I was ready to serve the tart, I arranged the nectarines on top. I forgot to brush the top with the peach jam, but will try that tonight. Delicious, delicious tart. I'm clearly not over my tart obsession yet. But I feel like there are so many wonderful tarts yet to discover...

No comments: