Friday, June 22, 2007

So Not Hardcore

Last night was Aquathon #2 of that swim/run race series I do at Warner Park beach throughout the summer. Usually I look forward to these, but yesterday was different—it was just dark and stormy-looking all day and I just simply wasn’t feeling it. Shortly before noon, the race director sent out an e-mail stating that, “Tonight's Aquathon #2 WILL be held unless lightning or dangerous conditions are present. We will delay the race up to 1 hour if necessary. If conditions are still not acceptable to race, the race will be postponed to a future date or cancelled.”

Well like I said, I wasn’t really feeling it. And lucky for me, neither was my roommate. We’re so not hardcore. At least I’m not when I don’t want to be. I’m very much a fair weather athlete. As we drove to the race, it began to turn dark and we were like, “Storm, baby, storm!” By the time we got to Warner Park, it was pouring and I had effectively convinced my roommate that we should really go get Chinese takeout instead of doing the Aquathon, regardless of whether it was cancelled or not. I’m always looking out for our safety and best interest. We quickly surveyed all of the other racers in their wetsuits huddled under tents waiting for the race call and then we drove away. Really, I’m not one to wait around like that.

But we’re not total bums. We did do about forty minutes of running around the track at the Shell (Camp Randall Memorial Sports Center) on campus before picking up dinner at Jade Garden. My Chinese takeout was quite delicious. I ordered Shrimp Chop Suey and Karen opted for Chicken Fried Rice, which is the same thing she orders at every Asian restaurant. And I thought I was sometimes a creature of habit.

I’m still not sure if the race was called or not. There was certainly a lot of lightening last night, so I’m going to guess that it was, but I haven’t heard anything official yet. I'm glad I didn't wait around to find out. Then I might have never enjoyed my fine Chinese cuisine.

No comments: