Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Rocket Science

Two weekends ago, I saw the movie Rocket Science at the Orpheum Theater in downtown Madison. Rocket Science is another one of the films that I had heard of at the Sundance Film Festival, but hadn't gotten the chance to catch there. My brother really, really wanted to see this film at the festival, but I don't think we were able to get tickets. And Kelly knows good film. He fashions himself quite the film aficionado. And for the most part he was right on with his picks at the Film Festival. But then again, so was I. But I suppose you can't go too wrong at Sundance.

Anyhow, I have been waiting patiently for the release of Rocket Science ever since last January. It's a great coming-of-age story about a boy with a stuttering problem who joins his high school debate team to try to win over the girl of his dreams, a fiercely determined beauty who is singularly focused on winning the New Jersey debate state championships, no matter what the cost. The film stars Reece Thompson as Hal Hefner, the awkward underclassman who reveals his unparalleled determination and heart. The film won the Dramatic Directing prize at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival, and opened in limited release on August 10th. It was written and directed by Jeffrey Blitz, the director of Spellbound.

I loved this film. Although it was a little on the long side, I really enjoyed the characters and plot, and the symbolic ending. It was also fascinating to learn more about the subject of debate. I had no idea that they talked so fast. And I totally fell in love with Hal. He was so cute. I wanted him to succeed so badly. And in the end, I think he did.

No comments: