Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Getting Shitty Over Sherbet

The coveted sherbet dish

Pizza Brutta

Last Thursday afternoon, my mom came into Madison for what we call a “Girls Day.” I took Friday off work and she stayed through that afternoon. We talked, walked, shopped, and ate. You know, girls stuff. We had a nice time together, just relaxing and catching up.

In terms of eating, we stuck to the classics. Pizza Brutta for dinner, Michael’s for custard, Lazy Jane’s for coffee and scones, and Monty’s Blue Plate Diner for lunch. Some serious comfort food. Pizza Brutta and Lazy Jane’s are certainly among my favorites. I’ve blogged about each before, but to sum it up, Pizza Brutta, the new kid on the block on Monroe Street, cooks the most amazingly tasty Neopolitan-style pizza with fresh, local ingredients, in a wood-burning oven. The atmosphere is friendly and casual, yet quaint and trendy—but not at all pretentious. Lazy Jane’s is a comfy and kitschy treasure chest on Willy Street that serves the best breakfasts in town. And the scones, available in a multitude of flavor combinations, are the best and biggest I’ve ever had. And I consider myself a scone connoisseur. And now that we’ve covered food…

Our shopping adventures took us to several garage sales and thrift stores, although we were slightly disappointed with the lack of Friday garage sales. While I’ve already accumulated quite the collection of vintage plates and glass ware for the various craft projects I’m working on, I’m still searching for new pieces. I also like to peruse the vinyl, and my mom and I love looking for used books at St. Vinny’s. The selection and prices can’t be beat. I must say it’s refreshing to have a mother who gets more kicks out of shopping at St. Vinny’s than, say, Macy’s. It’s seriously always the first thing she wants to do when she gets to town.

I almost had to throw my smack down at one thrift store on the west side of town. The store didn’t have baskets or carts to shop with, so I asked an employee if I could make a pile on the counter. She said that would be fine, so I started piling my treasures there. Another shopper apparently became quite enamored with one of my items and tried to take it from the pile, before she was stopped by the employee. The woman then tracked me down and asked if I really wanted the item. I said, "yes." She became quite shitty and said that she had a collection of sherbet dishes like the one I had chosen, and she really wanted it. And I said, "yes, I’m sorry, I would like to purchase it." The woman stormed out the store and my mom and I were then quite intrigued with the item.

As soon as my mom got home, she searched for the piece on Ebay. Apparently it’s an Iridescent Iris & Herringbone depression glass footed sherbet dish, which was produced by the Jeannette Glass Company sometime between 1928 to 1932. It’s a beautiful piece, but now it would feel like a crime to use such a coveted item for a craft project, and what am I going to do with one sherbet dish? So I think I’m going to try to sell it on Ebay. It seems like similar items are fetching somewhere between $10–40. And then at least someone who is collecting the set can have at it. Someone besides Ms. Shitty, I hope.

No comments: