Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bring on the Basil

I love Wednesdays in June and July. It means I’m halfway through my work week, and thus, that much closer to the promise of a sun- and fun-filled weekend, and also, more immediately, Wednesdays mark another concert on the square!

I know, I know. You’ve heard enough about my love of Concerts on the Square already. But stick with me for two more weeks. Tonight’s concert features the theme “String Fusion,” and a string trio by the name of Time for Three.

But even more important than the music, of course, is the food. And last week, my fellow concert goers and I decided on a culinary challenge for this week’s picnic. We chose a “theme ingredient,” and vowed to each bring a dish to share made with that particular ingredient. Basil is the name of the game for this week's Iron Chef challenge.

Luckily, I have a lot of basil in my garden, so that part was easy. Deciding on the perfect recipe was not. After much thought and research, I eventually picked a pressed sandwich recipe from Martha Stewart Magazine. It’s essentially a flattened sandwich with grilled veggies, fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, and pesto, on Ciabatta bread. I made my first-ever batch of basil last night. Delicious. This morning, I assembled all of the ingredients, and the sandwich is currently “pressing” in the refrigerator. I'll let you know how it turns out, and of course, what other kinds of basil treats everyone brings tonight! I can't wait.

No comments: