Wednesday, September 12, 2007

On A Private Beach In Michigan

I was extremely lucky to have tickets to last night’s sold-out Wilco concert at Overture Hall. The last time I saw Wilco perform was in Ann Arbor, when I was in graduate school at UM in 2005. That show was fantastic, so I knew I was in for another treat this time around.

For those of you who aren’t familiar, Wilco is a six-piece Chicago-based alternative rock band that features Jeff Tweedy as its lead singer and guitarist. This fall’s tour is part of the release of their sixth studio album, "Sky Blue Sky."

Last night’s show was no disappointment. The music was phenomenal and I was just blown away by the quality of acoustics at Overture Hall. Many of the songs were from the new album, but they also played several classics from my two favorite albums—“Yankee Hotel Foxtrot” and “A Ghost Is Born.” The audience was obviously very much into the music, and the band came back out for two encores. The last song, one of my favorites, was Spiders (Kidsmoke) and featured an amazing jam session. The two Wilco shows are among the very best I’ve ever seen. It’s like I can feel the music throughout my entire body. And listening to six exceptionally talented musicians play together as if they were born to do so, and just the harmony that results from that, is really a transcendent experience.

1 comment:

kels said...

you bet! front page!!

yay for wilco- they are spectacular.. its been a LOOONG time since ive seen them (durangos music scene doesnt really attract the big names:)
but i remember that they were something special!