Friday, September 7, 2007

Teakettle Injures Ironman

Guest post by Karen Mittelstadt

I know I've only been authorized for a post-Ironman entry on Monday, but it’s like I've been given the keys to the car and I can't help myself!

Please don't get alarmed, but Kristin was nearly maimed by her own Le Creuset teakettle this morning. We can laugh now because I believe she will be fine come race day, but there were tense moments.

The Scene: Kristin is boiling water for her morning coffee. She reaches for the teakettle, engages in the lift so as to remove the whistling kettle from the stove, and the sudden upward movement, paired with the burdensome weight of the 1.7-qt. capacity kettle, caused some muscle fiber or tendon in her back to spasm and she fell to the floor in pain. Seriously. I didn't see it (I was already at the office), but I believe! Apparently there was some quality writhing taking place on our vintage parquet kitchen floor.

As I've seen Kristin around the office today, she has been air swimming, moving through the paddle wheel arm pull to ensure full range of motion for Sunday. She looks solid and comfortable. All will be well. But just in case, I think we’ll go out for coffee tomorrow.

No comments: