Wednesday, January 9, 2008

"Dan In Real Life" Steals The Show

I may not watch TV, but I sure do see plenty of films. Especially lately. Here are four that I've seen in the past two weeks. Very much enjoyed each one of them, but my favorite, hands down, was Dan In Real Life, which I just saw last night. Following is a brief review on each:

Once
I really enjoyed this film. A very simple and beautiful portrayal of two musicians who have just this “one” opportunity to share their lives and music, before moving on with their separate lives. They seemingly fall in love during their short time together, but rather than wallow in the complications of that, they simply enjoy the moment and appreciate it for what it is.

The reason I liked this movie is because there seemed to be a very fine line between reality and fiction. The two main characters began dating after the film was released, and now perform together in a band that goes by the name Swell Season.

Kite Runner
This movie was great, and very true to the novel. Definitely worth checking out, but I think that people who have read the book might be disappointed by the film's quick pace and ending. For example, Amir and Young Hassan's entrance into the US seems effortless in the film. Those of us who have read the book know that this couldn't have been further from the truth in author Khaled Hosseini's portrayal.

Atonement
Also enjoyed this one, but would definitely recommend the novel over the film any day. Atonement is my all-time favorite book, and I truly believe that Ian McEwan is one of the best writers of our time. There are some based-on-novel films that are just bound to be a disappointment, regardless of the quality of the film, and I’m afraid this is just one of those. I liked the film, especially the typewriter metaphor, but the novel simply cannot be matched.

Dan In Real Life
I saw this movie at the “cheaps” last night. Three dollars for an evening show. Can’t beat that. This movie was my favorite of the four. Steve Carell is at his best in this hilarious, feel-good comedy. I’m not sure I’ve ever laughed so much during a movie. This is a must see.

No comments: