Thursday, June 26, 2008

Last Night's Concert

Abby and Kristin toast to the first concert!

Our beautiful spread!


Everyone turned to listen to the symphony

Jill sampling my new orzo salad dish

I had a great time at the first concert on the square last night. I took a late lunch break, and staked a spot on the square at 3pm (which is the earliest you’re allowed to place blankets). As such, we definitely had great seats, close enough to see and hear the symphony, but also far enough away to chat without catching an evil eye (or so we thought).

It was a perfect summer night for the first concert. Warm, sunny, and no sign of rain. Abby and I arrived at the square at 5:30ish to set up our table and food. Shortly afterwards, we were joined by my friend Jill, who was also my college roommate freshman year, as well as her friends Angela and Shayna.

Our amazing feast included Orzo salad with currants, olives, and pine nuts; Olive French bread; Rosemary crackers with Swiss cheese; Green beans with cilantro yogurt dip, Strawberries and Raspberries; three different kinds of cookies—banana chip, butterscotch, and store bought M&M (aka, “crack cookies”); and red and white wine. Everything was delicious, and I had a blast hanging out with my girls.

I’ve found that when it comes to many things in life, the concert on the square being one notable example, I can’t help but make a big production. Like I can’t just go to the concert at the last minute and pick up dinner along the way. No, no, I must slave in the kitchen the night before to bring to life the perfect menu I’ve created in my mind, and arrive at the square at the earliest moment possible (2:59pm) to secure great seats. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. I don't know how. I like, no make that love, to make a production of these types of things, and to experience life in the most elaborate and meaningful way possible.

No comments: