Thursday, June 5, 2008

Vinyl Cataloging Complete

I recently cataloged my collection of vinyl records (nerd!) so I could have a better sense of what I have and what I need more of. Besides an amazing kitchen and plenty of time to cook, my other dream in life is to have a freaking amazing turntable and sound system with an extraordinary library of vinyl.

I am currently 100 records strong. Below are the artists represented in my collection (favorites are starred). A good start, but much more music to aquire. Let me know if you have any vinyl recommendations. I obviously like many kinds of music, both old and new. And I'm always looking for great garage sale finds, so keep your eyes out for those ten cent records in great condition!

ACDC
Al Green*
Amos Lee
Aretha Franklin
B52's
Bangles
Beatles
Belle and Sebastian*
Bill Withers*
Billy Joel
Bob Dylan
Bobby Womack
Boston
Bruce Springsteen
Cat Stevens
Cheap Trick
Chuck Mangione
Crosby, Stills, & Nash
Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young
Cyndi Lauper
Diana Ross & The Supremes
Don McLean
Electric Light Orchestra
Elivs Presley
Elton John
Eric Clapton
Erykah Badu
Fleetwood Mac
Guess Who
Hall & Oates*
James Taylor
Janis Joplin
Joe Cocker
Joe Walsh
John Coltrane*
John Cougar
John Denver
John Lennon
Johnny Cash*
Joni Mitchell
Led Zeppelin
Madlib*
Madvillian
Marvin Gaye
Mice Parade
Michael Jackson
Nat King Cole
Nina Simone*
Nomo
Paul Simon*
Peter Frampton
Phil Collins
Prince and The Revolution
Queen
Ray Charles
REO Speedwagon
Rewind! (various artists)*
Santana
Silver Jews
Simple Minds
Stevie Wonder*
Sting
Sufjan Stevens*
Talking Heads
The Cars
The Clash*
The Decemberists
The Doors
The Go Go's
The Mamas and the Papas
The Marshall Tucker Band
The Police
The Rolling Stones
U2
War
Wilco*

5 comments:

kels said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_for_Bangladesh

Concert For Bangladesh- my dad swears by the Bob Dylan B side. But it includes George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Ravi Shankar--- I bought him the vinyl for father day last year on ebay;)

My favorite vinyl was Pet Sounds by the beach boys

Also, if you are looking for a great book + super mix tape check out Nick Hornbys (high fidelity writer) book 'Songbook'.
it is really something.

Anonymous said...

http://www.insound.com/She_And_Him_Volume_1_PRE-ORDER_LP/productmain/p/INS45441/

also, this! My favorite CD by far this year. love Mward and Zooey!!

kristinleigh said...

Sweet...I saw the Go-Getter at the Sundance film festival. M Ward did the entire soundtrack, and Zooey and he did "When I get to the Border" in the film. I'm pumped it's on vinyl.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Beyond garage sales, try the Salvation Army and Goodwill stores... lots of good finds.

Anonymous said...

Pitchfork is quite overrated as a whole, but they have a great list of albums through the years. Here is their top 100 albums of the 70s: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/36725-staff-list-top-100-albums-of-the-1970s If you want the classics, look no further.